News

DJ Warras murder case delayed again as Majola’s legal fees threaten trial

todayAugust 19, 2026 18

Background
share close

A dispute over legal fees has led to yet another postponement in the murder trial of, Victor Majola, who is accused of masterminding the murder of media personality, Warrick ‘DJ Warras’ Stock.

Majola’s lawyer, Piet Du Plessis, told the Johannesburg High Court on Wednesday that his firm has so far acted only in an advisory capacity and has not received the financial backing needed to commit to a trial expected to run for at least 20 court days.

He asked for six weeks to allow Majola and his family to secure funding for his legal representation.

  • cover play_arrow

    DJ Warras murder case delayed again as Majola’s legal fees threaten trial | By X9 Converter

The State opposed the delay, with prosecutor, Namika Kowlas, arguing that Majola has already had two months to resolve the issue and that the case risks being unnecessarily prolonged.

The court ultimately granted the postponement but made it clear that it would be the final opportunity to determine whether Du Plessis will continue representing Majola.

The case returns to court on 18 September.

The latest delay comes as Majola’s defence team also raises concerns about the State’s handling of the case against his co-accused, Armando Pacula.

Pacula, a 25-year-old Mozambican national, pleaded guilty to murdering Stock, as well as firearm, ammunition and Immigration Act charges. He was sentenced to an effective 25 years in prison following a Section 105A plea-and-sentence agreement with the State.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says Pacula admitted to shooting the media personality outside the Zambesi Building in the Johannesburg CBD on 16 December 2025 in exchange for R25 000.

Du Plessis told the court that he was not informed that Pacula’s matter had been finalised and only received his statement the day before Majola’s latest appearance.

  • cover play_arrow

    DJ Warras murder case delayed again as Majola’s legal fees threaten trial Nonhlanhla Harris

Majola faces charges of conspiracy to commit murder and premeditated murder, with the State maintaining that its case against him is proceeding separately.

Image credit: @SAPoliceService/X

Meanwhile, police are searching for another suspect, 40-year-old Hlengiwe Goodness Buthelezi, who is wanted in connection with Stock’s murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

Buthelezi’s name previously emerged during Majola’s bail proceedings. A protection order application made by Stock days before his death identified her among six people he accused of threatening him and his security team at Zambesi House.

She was also allegedly linked to an informal committee accused of unlawfully collecting and pocketing tenants’ rent.

Stock was shot multiple times near the Carlton Centre in the Johannesburg CBD on 16 December 2025. Majola remains behind bars as his defence seeks to resolve the funding of his legal representation.

Written by: Lebohang Ndashe 

Written by: Nonhlanhla Harris

Rate it