News

Brown Mogotsi to make third bail bid as state hands over outstanding documents

todayAugust 20, 2026 14

Background
share close

Alleged political fixer, Brown Mogotsi, is set to make his third attempt at securing bail after a key dispute over access to the State’s case docket was resolved.

The North West businessman will return to the Johannesburg Magistrates’ Court on 25 August, where his defence is expected to apply for bail based on what it says are new facts.

The development follows confirmation in court that the State has handed over all the documents previously requested by Mogotsi’s defence.

His lawyer, Makau Sekgatja, told the court on Thursday that the outstanding documents had been provided, clearing the way for the bail application.

  • cover play_arrow

    Brown Mogotsi to make third bail bid as state hands over outstanding documents | By X9 Converter

Mogotsi faces allegations linked to an alleged plot to stage an assassination attempt on himself in Vosloorus last year.

His defence had previously raised concerns about outstanding documents, late witness statements and heavily redacted material, arguing that access to the docket was necessary to properly prepare the case.

The defence had also sought the identities and addresses of State witnesses, but that bid was rejected over concerns for their safety.

The State told the court that one witness had allegedly been approached by Mogotsi’s associates after information about the witness emerged during earlier bail proceedings.

With the dispute over the outstanding documents now resolved, Mogotsi’s defence is set to return to court on Monday for his third bid for freedom.

Written by: Lebohang Ndashe

Written by: Nonhlanhla Harris

Rate it