News

TRC Inquiry probes handling of apartheid-era case files

todayAugust 17, 2026 44

Background
share close
Image credit: @TRC_inquiry/X

The handling of a massive cache of apartheid-era case files has come under scrutiny at the TRC Cases Inquiry, after a retired senior police officer testified that documents transferred from the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) to the South African Police Service (SAPS) arrived without a formal handover report or inventory.

Retired SAPS Colonel, Louis Bester, told the Khampepe Commission on Monday that he was instructed by then Detective Services Commissioner, Joan De Beer, to find secure premises for the documents and facilitate their transfer.

He says the files were eventually stored in secure police offices, where officials were responsible for sealing and auditing the boxes.

But Bester says the NPA did not provide SAPS with a list detailing the contents of the material.

The documents reportedly included dockets, correspondence and other files linked to investigations arising from Truth and Reconciliation Commission cases.

Bester says he did not personally audit the contents of the boxes, but later prepared an information memorandum after researching the history of the documents.

His evidence comes as the commission examines whether police and prosecutors deliberately obstructed or influenced investigations and prosecutions into apartheid-era crimes.

Bester also testified about a disputed note allegedly authored by, Advocate Anton Ackerman, which came under scrutiny after appearing in a 2007 Rapport newspaper report.

The former police officer says he was instructed to investigate whether the document had been forged. He sent it to the SAPS Forensic Laboratory for examination, including signature comparison and an assessment for possible tampering

  • cover play_arrow

    TRC Inquiry probes handling of apartheid-era case files Nonhlanhla Harris

Bester says the document was subsequently sent to an external forensic document expert for a second opinion, with the examination reportedly reaching the same conclusion as the police forensic investigation.

He says both findings were reported to Commissioner De Beer, after which his involvement in the matter ended.

Bester has rejected suggestions that he interfered in investigations or prosecutions linked to apartheid-era crimes.

  • cover play_arrow

    TRC Inquiry probes handling of apartheid-era case files | By X9 Converter

He says his role in TRC-related matters was largely to assist the NPA when requested. This included safeguarding transferred documents, assisting with an audit of TRC cases and, in 2010, allocating investigators to nine matters referred to SAPS for assistance.

He also testified that he assisted with missing-persons investigations and the exhumation of human remains.

Bester’s evidence is expected to be tested further as the commission investigates allegations that efforts were made to prevent apartheid-era cases from being properly investigated and prosecuted.

His cross-examination has been deferred after lawyers requested access to additional documents, including a complete version of his investigative diary.

Written by: Lebohang Ndashe 

Written by: Nonhlanhla Harris

Rate it