President Cyril Ramaphosa has dismissed allegations that there are plans to remove Paul Mashatile as his deputy.
This follows allegations of an orchestrated plan to boot out Mashatile by Ramaphosa’s allies, which include his former adviser, Bejani Chauke.
Ramaphosa says there is no proof or substance to the allegations.
“There is just no thought, no plan, no inkling whatsoever that something like that could be in the works.”
Ramaphosa appointed Mashatile as the country’s second in charge in March following David Mabuza’s resignation.
The President says he is the only one that can remove Mashatile.
“I had a discussion with the Deputy President, and we are going to have other discussions. I immediately said to him, I appointed you and I am the only person who can de-appoint you.”
Mashatile recently dominated headlines and front pages over allegations of living a luxurious lifestyle at the expense of state funds.
He is accused of using businessman Edwin Sodi’s multi-million luxurious Clifton home as a base despite it being sold by the state last year. He is said to also have access to another house in Fresnaye registered in the name of a company owned by businessman, Ndavhe Mareda.
In less than two weeks following the allegations, the Deputy President’s protection detail was embroiled in a case of assault.
Mashatile’s VIP protectors were caught on camera assaulting civilians on the side of the road, on the N1 near Fourways.
The SAPS members have since been issued with suspension notices and charged with assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, pointing of a firearm and malicious damage to property.
In an interview with City Press, the Deputy President alleged that there was a plot to oust him by next month.
Chauke, who has been identified as one of the people involved in the plan, has denied the claims.
I appoint the Deputy President. No one else can remove him. There is no plan to this effect. pic.twitter.com/LcUIuH5d6o
— Cyril Ramaphosa 🇿🇦 (@CyrilRamaphosa) July 9, 2023
Written by: Lindiwe Mpanza