News

Joe Sibanyoni extortion case struck off roll after prosecutor no-show

todayMay 18, 2026 46

Background
share close
Image credit: @tumisole/X

The extortion and money laundering case against taxi tycoon, Joe Sibanyoni, and his three co-accused has been struck off the roll.

The group appeared in the Kwaggafontein Magistrates’ Court today for what was expected to be a bail hearing, but proceedings could not continue after the state prosecutor failed to appear in court, despite reports that he did inform the court about his unavailability.

The prosecutor found guilty of contempt of court, with the court labeling his behaviour unacceptable and unprofessional. A warrant of arrest is expected to issued for him

The accused were arrested in connection with the alleged extortion of a prominent mining businessman between 2022 and 2025.

Former National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) head, Shaun Abrahams, who represented both Sibanyoni and Sindane, previously told the court there was a longstanding business relationship between Sibanyoni and the complainant.

“In fact, our client saw the complainant two weeks ago at a funeral, so there’s no threat to anybody. Nobody is intimidated,” he said. “There was a business transaction that ran for a period of three years. The complainant is somebody who has been at my client’s residence. He’s a friend.”

  • cover play_arrow

    Joe Sibanyoni extortion case struck off roll after prosecutor no-show Lindiwe Mpanza

Businessman, Bafana Sindane, who handed himself over to police on Friday, maintains that the State has no case against them. Speaking to journalists outside court, Sindane dismissed the charges levelled against him.

Meanwhile, legal expert, Zola Majavu, says the matter can be placed back on the roll.

What needs to precede the re-enrollment of the matter is that the re-enrollment must be authorized by the National Director of Public Prosecutions. This is aimed at making sure that  they do not bring this case on the roll prematurely or in instances where the state’s house is not in order. So this is not a discontinuation of the prosecution.”

  • cover play_arrow

    Joe Sibanyoni extortion case struck off roll after prosecutor no-show Lindiwe Mpanza

The NPA has since suspended the prosecutor involved in the case, saying disciplinary action is being instituted against him.

National Director of Public Prosecutions, Advocate Andy Mothini, expressed disappointment over the developments, adding that he is engaging with the investigating officer to facilitate the re-enrolment of the matter.

“While this is disappointing, it is not a setback as we are within our right and authority to reinstate the case once there is compliance with the legal provisions governing matters removed from the court roll in this manner,” he said. “There is no room for impunity as we remain resolute in our constitutional obligation to hold those accused of criminality accountable.”

Celebrations erupted inside and outside the courtroom after the four men walked free.

Written by: Lindiwe Mpanza

Rate it