News

Dr Nandipha’s bail bid postponed due to ‘new evidence’

todayMay 11, 2023 169

Background
share close
Dr Nandipha Magudumana in the Bloemfontein Magistrate Court

Dr Nandipha Magudumana’s bail application has been reserved for next week Tuesday, the same day her lover Thabo Bester is set to make his second court appearance.

Magudumana’s lawyer, advocate Frans Dlamini, told the court that they could not proceed with the application today due to alleged crucial evidence that has since surfaced.
“Because of the importance of that particular information, she is also looking at the possibility of exploring other avenues of ventilating her rights outside this particular court,” said Dlamini.
Magudumana briefly appeared in the Bloemfontein Magistrate Court alongside five other co-accused.
They face charges of defeating the ends of Justice as well as aiding and abetting a prisoner to escape from lawful custody.
The state has dropped the murder charge against all the accused.
The charge related to the death of Katlego Mpholo whose body was found in Bester’s burnt cell in May last year.
Dlamini said they were ready to proceed with the bail application today, however the latest evidence would not allow them to.
“The initial decision before the emergence of this crucial information or evidence, we were ready but in the interest of justice we request that our right in relation to bail to be reserved.”
Magudumana’s lawyer, however, clarified that the accused is not abandoning her right to apply for bail.
“We are not abandoning, we are merely saying let that right be held in abeyance. Let the matter against accused number four be rolled over to the same date in which the main matter is coming,” added Dlamini.
The bail application for the other five accused is being heard in the Bloemfontein Magistrate Court, but the media has been barred from broadcasting the proceedings.

Written by: Lindiwe Mpanza

Rate it

0%