News

Court dismisses bid to delay Bushiri-linked R102m racketeering trial

todayMay 18, 2026 23

Background
share close

The Pretoria High Court has refused a bid to delay the R102 million racketeering, fraud, and money laundering trial linked to self-proclaimed prophet Shepherd Bushiri’s alleged financial empire.

Bushiri’s co-accused Willah Joseph Mudolo and his five co-accused appeared in court on Monday and will continue standing trial, with the matter adjourned until Tuesday after the defence application for a postponement was dismissed.

The matter relates to self-proclaimed prophet Shepherd Bushiri’s Enlightened Christian Gathering (ECG) church network.

Bushiri, founder of the Enlightened Christian Gathering church, has faced over alleged financial dealings tied to his ministry and related investment schemes. He and his wife fled South Africa in 2020 and are currently facing extradition proceedings in Malawi.

Bushiri and his wife fled South Africa in 2020 and are currently confronting extradition charges in Malawi.

Mudolo is accused alongside his wife, Zethu Matshingana Mudolo, Landiwe Ntlokwana Sindani, Nomalarvasagie Reddy, Satheesh Isseri, and Stephanie Olivier.

On Monday, the accused appeared in court where the defence applied for a postponement, arguing that Mudolo should first conclude a pending leave-to-appeal application relating to the State’s bid to revoke his bail in a separate matter before Judge Mokhine Mosopa.

Advocate Ike Hlatshwayo, representing Mudolo, accused the State of attempting to destabilise his client during the trial, alleging that prosecutors were interfering with his right to freedom.

Hlatshwayo described the state’s move as unfair to his client and requested an audience with the National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP).

  • cover play_arrow

    Court dismisses bid to delay Bushiri-linked R102m racketeering trial Nonhlanhla Harris

 

Advocate Omar, representing Mudolo’s wife, requested more time to consult, saying she had only recently come on record and did not yet have full access to the case docket.

“We understand the concerns of the State in our discussion in the previous proceedings as well as appealing the judgment and attending proceedings in court. This is not a trial that’s going to finish in a week or two weeks. If anything this matter needs to be sat down for a longer period of time,” said Omar.

Another defence counsel, Advocate Steenkamp, representing accused number five Isseri, said his client required urgent medical attention for a heart condition.

  • cover play_arrow

    Court dismisses bid to delay Bushiri-linked R102m racketeering trial Nonhlanhla Harris

However, Judge Makamo, rejected the postponement application, saying the matter had already been delayed excessively and noting that two elderly complainants had died while awaiting finalisation of the case.

“I don’t believe that it’s in the interest of justice to keep on postponing this case and as such the application for further postponement for the reasons which have been given to me do not suffice and so the application for further postponement has been dismissed,” the judge said.

The matter will return to court on Tuesday, while Mudolo is also expected to appear in a separate bail-related application.

The State has previously indicated that an urgent warrant of arrest is linked to Mudolo. Prosecutors have also accused the defence of employing “Stalingrad tactics” to delay proceedings.

All accused remain out on bail and are barred from leaving the country.

Written by: Odirile Rabalao

Written by: Nonhlanhla Harris

Rate it