play_arrow
Y WORLD Radio Station Y WORLD RADIO

South Africans may soon have to say goodbye to the popular streaming platform Showmax, as plans are reportedly underway to shut down the service in the country.
The move follows a strategic review by its parent company, MultiChoice, which is now under the control of French media giant Canal+.
While an exact timeline for the shutdown has not yet been confirmed, the company says the decision forms part of broader restructuring efforts.
In a statement released earlier today, Showmax says the shift is aimed at cutting costs and allowing the company to focus on more sustainable investments going forward.
“Importantly, at the moment, there will be no interruption to your current service. You can continue streaming as usual, and no action is required from you at this time.”
Showmax has however, acknowledged that the news may raise questions.
“Showmax subscribers are a priority for us, and we are working on plans to ensure clear communication and a smooth transition when the time comes. We will share further details well in advance, including timelines and any future steps, should they be required.”

The announcement is expected to have a major impact on subscribers who currently rely on the platform for local and international content.
Canal+ took over MultiChoice late last year, in a deal that valued at around R52 billion.
MultiChoice, headquartered in Johannesburg, operates across Southern and Eastern Africa, as well as in countries like Nigeria and Ghana.
Canal+, however, already has a strong footprint across several West African markets, which could significantly expand the company’s reach across the continent.
That company in Randburg is in the mud. There are very few people that still have DStv. And niggas who want sport are using VPNs to get through to the pirates of the carribean so I imagine revenue is bad for them to even discontinue ShowMax.
In the great words of a good friend…
— Mr Bat (@linda_mot) March 5, 2026
Showmax board wants to discontinue Showmax service soon. What a pity.
— Ìléríolúwa (@Ilerioluwakiye_) March 5, 2026
So ga ba discontinue Showmax ra go sheba kae di SA True Crime doccies? Don’t tell me ka that other platform, the story telling wasn’t the same. 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 pic.twitter.com/mUia49TwhE
— Matlhogonolo 🌻✨ (@Rougie_xo) March 5, 2026
This email is weird as hell.
Discontinue the service in the near future? If no definitive dates, why send the email now?
“You can continue streaming as usual” Okay, till when?
Smooth transition when the time comes? Transition to what?
We will continue investing in premium… pic.twitter.com/PGxVmrMq1S
— SB (@seyedele) March 5, 2026
Multi Choice has decided to discontinue ShowMax@ShowmaxKenya pic.twitter.com/s6xCFt5re1
— Puss in boots (@JoyKoin) March 5, 2026
The EFF’s Statement on Discontinuation of Digital Streaming Platform Showmax by Multichoice and Canal+
-A multitude of black productions have been pursued and platformed by Showmax, which reflect a variety of content ranging from telenovelas, soap operas, true-crime… pic.twitter.com/KffqhgwN2e
— Economic Freedom Fighters (@EFFSouthAfrica) March 5, 2026
Written by: Lindiwe Mpanza
Canal+ Multichoice restructuring Showmax
5:00 am - 9:00 am
9:00 am - 12:00 pm
12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm