The Department of International Relations and Cooperation (Dirco) could not be drawn into whether or not it will respond to the South African Jewish Board of Deputies’ (SAJBD) application for a Promotion of Access to Information Act order against Minister Naledi Pandor.
On Thursday, SAJBD revealed to YNews that it planned to apply for a PAIA to ascertain what exactly was said by Pandor and the leader of Hamas during their phone conversation last month.
After the news of the phone call conversation emerged, the organisation lambasted Pandor for allegedly offering support for Hamas – an accusation the department has strongly refuted.
Dirco Spokesperson, Clayson Monyela, says there was nothing sinister in the conversation between Pandor and Yahya Sinwar.
He has also rejected claims that South Africa has taken side in the Middle East conflict following its decision to recall its envoys in Tel Aviv for consultation.
Written by: Nokwazi Qumbisa