Civil rights movement, #NotInMyName, says the continued delays in the case against the man dubbed the Ekurhuleni serial rapist, Nkosinathi Phakathi, is causing secondary victimisation of his victims and their families.
This after the trial was postponed to the 27th of November earlier today.
Judge Lesego Makolomakwe, ordered that the 32-year-old be sent for psychiatric assessment.
Earlier this week, his mental health was brought into question, after a psycho-legal suggested that Phakathi suffers from at least four mental disorders.
Phakathi blamed evil spirits for his crimes, saying he had used prayer and even performed traditional rituals to ward off the urge to violate women.
On Wednesday, the state poked holes into the contents of the report, which said the symptoms of his mental illness began being apparent when he was 29.
Colonel Kirsten Clark has rubbished the claims, saying symptoms of schizophrenia normally become apparent when a person reaches their mid-teens.
Colonel Clark also believes the suspect would not have been able to give proper historical background of his reign of terror had he had psychosis.
#NotInMyName’s Themba Masango says mental health issues must never be weaponised by criminals, in order to gets shorter sentence.
Phakathi’s reign of terror began in 2012 and ended in 2021.
He targetted women between the ages of 10 and 44.
He has been convicted of 90 counts of rape and 43 counts of kidnapping, among others.
Civil rights movement, #NotInMyName says considering that some of his victims are children, justice should be served speedily.