The WhatsApp and related electronic applications for the grant will go live on Monday, May 11. This as a number of local South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) offices also re-open on Monday.
Applicants are cautioned not to provide their banking details to anyone to avoid scams. Sassa will only request banking information once an application has been approved.
Minister Zulu has reiterated that applicants without bank accounts can also apply and their payment will be effected through a money transfer. Zulu announced that the Sassa WhatsApp line has changed to 0820468553, the email address remains SRD@sassa.co.gov.
Applicants have been urged to apply via the new WhatsApp line or the SMS line at *134*7737#.
– Applicant must be above the age of 18
– Applicant must not be a beneficiary of any form of grant such as UIF, Sassa beneficiary or NSFAS.
– Applicants should not be receiving any form of income.
– Residents in a government or subsidised institution are prohibited from applying.
– Residential address
– I.D document
– Name and surname as captured by Home affairs
– Gender and disability
– Banking details and account number ( once application is approved)
– Contact details
Monday and Tuesday: Grants for older persons (Old age grants)
Wednesday and Thursday: Child support grants and foster care grants.
Friday: Administration for staff to attend to matters that flow over from the previous day.
Zulu added that volunteers will be deployed to assist applicants who cannot use the technology and will be provided with gadgets to capture details on behalf of applicants.
Written by: Y