News

Matlala claims he paid former police minister Cele R500k

todayNovember 26, 2025 57

Background
share close

Alleged underworld kingpin, Vusimuzi ‘Cat’ Matlala, has accused former police minister Bheki Cele of accepting R500,000 in cash in exchange for helping him resolve issues with the South African Police Service (SAPS).

Testifying before Parliament’s Ad Hoc Committee at the Kgosi Mampuru Correctional Facility on Wednesday, Matlala said he paid Cele in two instalments — R300,000 and R200,000 — after the former minister allegedly intervened to assist him following a police raid at his Waterkloof Ridge home in December last year.

Matlala further accused Cele of lying under oath during his own appearance before the committee.

According to Matlala, Cele contacted Lieutenant General Dumisani Khumalo after the raid, urging him to “have mercy” and insisting that Matlala was “not a threat” to the police. He claims he then provided Cele with money, accommodation at his penthouse, and transport using his security detail.

– Sibiya meetings “strictly professional”-

Matlala told MP’s that he only met suspended Deputy National Police Commissioner, Shadrack Sibiya, only three times, and insisted their interactions were professional.

He said the first two meetings related to a complaint about the Department of Public Works allegedly withholding a hospital lease tender he believed had been approved. He claimed Sibiya later informed him that the national commissioner had rejected the tender.

The third meeting, he said, occurred during a police investigation into the 2024 disappearance of Pretoria businessman Jerry Boshoga.

– Raid at his home “terrified” family –

Matlala described the December police raid at his home, claiming officers — some masked — searched the property without a warrant, confiscated weapons and valuables, and assaulted his wife.

Matlala claims his wife was assaulted and harassed during the raid, saying she was left with bruises. He told the committee he initially believed the officials were criminals because they were wearing balaclavas.

He said he later discovered that his seized firearms had already been booked in at Protea Police Station when he attempted to open a case.

– Business dealings with Medicare 24 –

Matlala also detailed his involvement with Tshwane Medicare 24, operated through Medicare 24 Holdings and linked to businessman Mike van Wyk, whom he met in 2017.

He claims Van Wyk and his partner, Riaan Venter, recruited him because they believed his race would give the company an advantage in securing contracts in township clinics.

“They said since I am Black, I would have more advantage getting business than them. They suggested registering a company for me while they handled management,” he said.

Matlala said he ran the medical venture while simultaneously operating his VIP Security Services company.

When asked about SAPS contracts allegedly linked to Tshwane Medicare 24, he declined to respond, saying he feared compromising ongoing investigations and risking self-incrimination.

Written by: Odirile Rabalao

Written by: Nonhlanhla Harris

Rate it

0%