News

NUPSAW slams Gauteng Health as workers protest over exploitation, unpaid overtime and contract abuse

todayNovember 19, 2025 713

Background
share close

The National Union of Public Service and Allied Workers (NUPSAW) has intensified pressure on the Gauteng Department of Health, accusing it of exploiting contract workers, failing to pay EMS personnel for overtime, and neglecting core functions of the provincial health system.

The union says many Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) workers have been employed for more than a decade, despite the programme being intended for short-term skills development.

On Wednesday, workers marched to Premier Panyaza Lesufi’s office to hand over a memorandum of demands calling for permanent employment, improved working conditions, and an end to what they describe as systematic exploitation.

Earlier in the day, Gauteng Emergency Management Services (EMS) workers also protested over unpaid overtime, claiming the province is the only one that refuses to compensate EMS personnel for extra hours — despite many working more than 200 hours a month while contracted for 160.

The union says Gauteng’s refusal to implement overtime policies is crippling the public health system. EMS workers marched alongside doctors, EPWP staff and other health professionals, all raising concerns about unsafe working conditions, chronic understaffing and deteriorating infrastructure.

One EMS worker, Samson Moloi, told YNews the refusal to pay overtime has taken a severe toll on staff.

 

By the afternoon, tensions escalated as NUPSAW issued Premier Panyaza Lesufi a two-week ultimatum, demanding urgent intervention in what they call widespread exploitation within the sector.

The memorandum was received by the Premier’s advisor, Kgosi Maepa, who assured workers it would be forwarded to Lesufi for his attention.

 

Among their demands, the union wants all contract workers — including cleaners, nurses, doctors, interns and COVID-19 recruits — to be permanently absorbed, arguing their duties are long-term and essential to the functioning of the department.

Doctor Naledi Moyake, who joined the march, described the conditions health workers face as unhealthy, inhumane and deeply demoralising.

NUPSAW says if their demands are ignored, they will mobilise even more members, NGOs, communities and SAFTU-affiliated unions — warning they are prepared to render the Gauteng Health Department and the Premier’s office ungovernable.

Written by: Lebohang Ndashe

Written by: Nonhlanhla Harris

Rate it

0%